What are you looking for in a dental clinic? Are you expecting for a painless procedure? Boutique Dental Care offers IV sedation that can help manage your anxiety and discomfort during the procedure. Let’s find out more about how we can manage the pain during and after treatment.
What is a dental implant procedure?
The person with a missing tooth can undergo dental implant procedure to replace it up to its roots. Dental implant procedure allows the patient’s tooth roots to be replaced using dental metal, screwlike posts, while the missing tooth will be replaced with an artificial tooth. They made the artificial tooth look and works as similar to the real tooth.
They will consider the patient’s jawbone condition before applying the dental implant surgery. The patient may undergo several procedures in case needed.
How does a dental implant take place?
Just like the other types of procedure, the patient shall undergo preparations also before the dental procedure takes place. They will perform a series of tests and evaluation needed before the treatment. As a matter of fact, there will be a need to involve a variety of specialists in this procedure.
The specialists in this dental implant surgery require confirmation of the patient’s different body part conditions. In this case, they will check the conditions of the following, not limited to: the mouth, jawbone, facial structures, nose, the other teeth, and the like. The specialists need to check these parts to prevent further issues during and after the procedure.
They also need to check other medical conditions of the patient in case they are undergoing medications to prevent infection, and the treatment plan will follow.
How is pain reduced?
There are several options to choose from to reduce pain inclined in the surgery. The dentist can choose from different dental anesthesia to lessen the pain. The dentist can recommend the patient among local anesthesia, sedation or general anesthesia. How do they differ?
- Local anesthesia is a type of drug used to numb a small area of the body, temporarily. The dentists commonly use it during minor procedures. The patient does not fall asleep after injection of local anesthetics. This will help the patient relax during the procedure.
- Sedation is a component of general anesthesia. In this case, the patient under sedation helps the patient relax as well. However, the patient is in-between feeling sleepy but remains conscious about what is going on during the procedure. To put it in another way, the patient will not be conscious of the pain or discomfort caused by the procedure.
- Lastly, the patient will fall asleep after general anesthesia application. The patient is free from being conscious of pain. The patient is totally unconscious of what is going on during the procedure.
Nowadays, dental treatments are not as painful as way back the old day procedures. The dental professionals did this as one of the noticeable improvements in the world of dentistry. They are still continuously having improvements to make it a lot easier compared to the old practices.
After-effects to be expected
There will always be after-effects associated with any dental procedure. In this case, some after-effects are the gums and face will swell, minor pains in the location of the implant or minor bleeding. Additionally, the patient may also encounter minor bruises after the procedure.
The patient shall return to their dentist on the condition that the after-effects are beyond control during the healing process. The dentists will know what to do to address the situation.
Pain reduction after treatment
The patient may feel pain after the dental implant procedure once the sedation’s effect runs out. There are several ways to reduce pain until the patients are completely healed:
- First, they will recommend the intake of medicines, such as painkillers or relievers.
- Secondly, it is necessary to feed on softer foods while under the healing process. This is to avoid causing defects on the implant.
- Next, an ice pack will also help in pain reduction. They can apply an ice pack after taking painkillers or relievers.
- Last but not least, gargle using warm water with salt.
The patient should reduce doing heavy, physical activities significantly while on the healing process. They should have enough rest before getting back to their usual activities. It is also essential to remember practising good oral hygiene and to regularly visit the dentist for further evaluation after the dental implant procedure.
Dental implant procedure advantages
Dentists carefully choose the procedure should undergo. They look upon all considerations before proceeding—all for the patients’ safety. This procedure will make a huge difference. It will help preserve facial bone structure and prevents it from deteriorating. It will help maintain the appearance after filling in the missing tooth.
Every procedure has its pros and cons. However, modern dentists are well-trained. Enough to balance everything before we undergo a procedure. They will do everything to provide their patients with the best dental service for us—all for a common goal. To bring our healthy smiles back again.